Some people!

A cheeky friend asked me yesterday if I’ve become Martha Freaking Stewart, just because she’s seeing recipes on my site.  The sheer impudence made me laugh out loud.  She knows I voluntarily surrendered my kitchen privileges when I married Kim, so of course the cooking thing does seem a bit suspect.  The trouble is, what the heck else am I gonna do with 1,787 food & drink pins on my Pinterest boards, besides present them to my husband one by one with a hopeful look on my face?  It’s unlikely that I’m going to work through the list on my own — I cooked for a solid thirty-five years, often for field hands and harvest help, and to quote the inimitable Madeline Kahn, “I’m tiiiiiired.”

Kim and I have actually put together quite a few of the ideas I’ve pinned, and rarely met with disappointment.  HOWEVER.  There’s no way we would ever get through them all in this lifetime … so I was thinking … we bloggers and friends could institute a sort of test kitchen amongst ourselves!  Whaddaya think, huh? huh??  Fun, right?!

The only rule would be that if you make one of the recipes you find here or on one of my Pinterest boards, you MUST come back and file a report.  Delicious, so-so, definitely not worth the time, that sort of thing.  I’m hearing no objections!  So … let’s start, appropriately enough, with an appetizer.  GO!!

Chicken Tostada Bites

Chipotle Chicken Tostada Bites
inspired by Z’Tejas

Ingredients:
1/4 c. plus 2 TBSP chipotle salsa, pureed (I like Herdez brand)
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 avocados
zest and juice of one lime
2 TBSP red onion, finely minced
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
1 Roma tomato, seeds removed, finely chopped
2 TBSP fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced (optional)
1/4 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
24 round tortilla chips
24 cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions:
1.  The night before serving, pour 1/4 c. pureed chipotle salsa over the chicken breast and allow to marinate, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.  Turn once during marinating time.

2.  Cook the chicken, covered, in a saute pan.  Allow to cool, then shred.  Mix shredded meat with remaining two TBSP salsa.

3.  While chicken is cooling, make guacamole by combining all remaining ingredients (except chips) in a nonreactive bowl.  Mix together with a fork, leaving only small chunks.  Adjust salt and pepper as desired.

4.  Just before serving, top each chip with a generous TBSP each of guacamole and chicken.  Top with a cilantro leaf and arrange on a platter.

A word of advice on these–wait to assemble them until the last second.  The chips get soggy if the guacamole sits on them too long.  Luckily, all the components will be fine if made the night before or morning of serving.

And for those whose tummies do not play well with cilantro, substitute creatively!

12 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Joy Patton
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:00:35

I finally got around to making the Chipolte Chicken Tostada Bites and we enjoyed them. They are a real pain in the ass to make and I have many other things I make that taste a lot better. So…..that is your report from this test kitchen 🙂 By the way, if you do make these, only use the juice of 1/2 lime. And, if you can arrange it, have someone else make them for you!

• Judy Smith
      Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:49:47

Well, now we know! I’m reading the recipes a lot more carefully now, Joy, since Rita said these were very labor-intensive. Thanks for trying them, though, you’re a good kid. I’m glad they at least tasted okay. I hope you won’t be a Test Kitchen drop-out … we have lots of recipes to go!! 🙂

2. Miss Snarky Pants
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:50:03

Martha Stewart? She called you Martha Stewart? I hope you slapped her. Hard!

I would happily comply with your recipe challenge except that I’m an unethical vegan, as you know, and chicken ain’t on the menu anymore. The fact that this means that I won’t ever eat at a Chick-fil-A again makes me insanely happy…damn bigots. However, as soon as you post a recipe that is either vegan or one that I can adapt to be vegan, I will report back to you with the results.

I’m looking forward to the day when my hubby can stay home and cook for me. He’s looking forward to the day when I sell my novel and he can become a kept man. Our priorities are perfectly aligned.

You, my dear, are a lucky woman. And a funny one!

• Judy Smith
      Feb 18, 2013 @ 16:33:56

Nope, I would never slap Ms. Joy. (See my answer to your comment on the “About” page.)

I will address your veganish concerns forthwith — everybody gets to play! My son is a long-time vegetarian and I aspire, from time to time, to convert … and then a lovely piece of grilled salmon or a baked chicken breast calls out to me and I cave.

Come back and play often — you’re my kinda girl.

• Miss Snarky Pants
        Feb 19, 2013 @ 09:54:41

Dearest Judy,

You cave for chicken or salmon? That’s like caving for a saltine. I cave for BACON. Now there’s something worth caving for!

I will visit you often as you’re my kinda snarky chick, as well.

xo

Miss Snarky Pants

• Judy Smith
          Feb 19, 2013 @ 09:59:39

Well of COURSE bacon!! Do I look like some sort of deficient human being? Bacon is a given, Snark-Girl. How could it possibly have slipped my mind … now I’m worried …

• Miss Snarky Pants
            Feb 19, 2013 @ 10:06:24

Obviously, you’re suffering from a pork deficiency, though it could be brain swelling caused by a lack of hickory smoke. I suggest BBQ for lunch and while you’re inside the restaurant, ask them if you can stand by their smokers and inhale deeply a few times.

• Judy Smith
              Feb 19, 2013 @ 10:13:01

You know … BBQ is one thing that doesn’t tempt me in the least … although the aroma is quite nice, so possibly that’s the treatment called for. (Goes in search of large greasy-looking cookers … )

3. thebestbeersever
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:51:36

These look so amazing and are a great idea for an appetizer, I can’t wait to make these. If you are ever looking for a great beer to pair with these follow my blog.

4. Joy Patton
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:24:26

Cheeky?! I’ll show you cheeky!….LOL….Actually, I’m sorry if I was insolent. I think your test kitchen idea is very smart. Back when Mom was with me, we shared the cooking. She cooked the comfort food and I made a new recipe every time it was my turn. We would vote after supper and decide whether to keep the recipe or pitch it. The question is……Is this better than the stuff we already make? Now, sadly, I have to make the comfort food myself….unless I’m lucky enough to have a visit from Jan Martha Stewart Moler! Good news is…I’m pretty good at it 🙂 I await the test kitchen results.

• Judy Smith
      Feb 18, 2013 @ 16:35:38

Don’t just “await,” jump in! I love your cheekiness, darlin’, you know that. And it’s a far cry from insolent! You inspired this morning’s blog piece, so I owe you. 🙂

Talk to me, I'm soooo lonely ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Winnowing the Chaff

rarasaur

frightfully wondrous things happen here.

FranklyWrite

Practice Writing

Social Justice For All

Working towards global equity and equality

Drinking Tips for Teens

Creative humour, satire and other bad ideas by Ross Murray, an author living in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. Is it truth or fiction? Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

john pavlovitz

Stuff That Needs To Be Said

Drifting Through

Welcome to the inner workings of my mind

KenRobert.com

Beautiful and Terrible Things

Margaret and Helen

Best Friends for Sixty Years and Counting...

The WordPress.com Blog

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

Musings of a Penpusher

A Taurean suffering from cacoethes scribendi - an incurable itch to write.

Ned's Blog

Humor at the Speed of Life

mylenesmusings

Every other asshole shares their opinions, why shouldn’t I?

%d bloggers like this: