Heeeyyy, good-lookin’, whaaatcha’ got cookin’ …?

Honey Bun Cake

1 yellow cake mix

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups powdered sugar

3/4 cup oil

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

4 Tablespoons milk

4 eggs

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

8 oz sour cream

Mix cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream by hand, about 50 strokes.
Put half the batter in 9 x 13 pan.
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and spread over entire cake. Spread the rest of the batter on top of this.
Use a knife to make swirls in the cake.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Blend powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract and spread on warm cake.

10309382_922955184387876_91640386428077594_n

Image

72 Comments (+add yours?)

1. nancy
    Sep 05, 2017 @ 15:42:58

I ‘ve been making this for years, but my recipe calls for a cup of raisins that I mix with the cinnamon and brown sugar before adding to the cake.

2. Justene Tatroe
    Aug 08, 2017 @ 14:32:03

Should I grease the pan??

3. Felicia
    Dec 24, 2016 @ 22:53:59

Not sure if I commented before, oh well! Lol. Just finished making 2 of these delicious cakes for tomorrow’s Christmas dinner! Everyone always enjoys it. Thanks for the recipe!!

4. Melinda Young
    Dec 22, 2016 @ 12:51:48

I made this for Thanksgiving everyone loved it! I’ve been requested to make 3 for Christmas!

5. Atonya
    Dec 17, 2016 @ 16:51:46

Awesome. Had some at a gathering and had to get the recipe. Just made it for the first time. Thank you for sharing!!

6. AshLee Lewis
    Oct 21, 2016 @ 10:02:40

This cake turned out awesome! I had some issues with layering and swirling, but it stilled looked okay after baking.

7. Becky Millne
    Sep 24, 2016 @ 12:35:04

Everyone loves it! Going to tailgate with it today!!!

8. Pam
    Sep 18, 2016 @ 08:34:45

So delicious and easy, my children LOVE it!!

9. Susan
    Sep 09, 2016 @ 13:38:09

WOW, it’s good and SO SIMPLE to make. Once the first person tries at the potluck, the word will spread and it’ll be gone instantly. Thank you Judy and thank you Pinterest for leading me to this recipe.

10. Monie
    Sep 06, 2016 @ 22:37:11

Made it, it was wonderful right out of the oven! Still awesome the next day cold with a cup of coffee. Took some to work and received several compliments. Thanks for sharing.

11. Shirley peterson
    Sep 02, 2016 @ 13:35:25

Going too make this for the 1st time for labor day treat looks good

12. Kathy Shelley
    Sep 01, 2016 @ 09:21:59

This recipe sounds really good. I’m just wondering does the sour cream have to go in it? Is there a substitute?

• Judy Smith
      Sep 02, 2016 @ 15:04:56

You could try these options, or there are more via Google:

“Substitute one of the following for each 1 cup of sour cream: For baking: 7/8 cup buttermilk or sour milk plus 3 tablespoons butter. For baking: 1 cup yogurt plus 1 teaspoon baking soda. For baking: 3/4 cup sour milk plus 1/3 cup butter.”

13. Jana
    Aug 21, 2016 @ 18:30:20

One of my FAVORITE recipes from Pinterest! My family loves this cake. I have made is so many times. Making it again this week! 🙂 Thanks for posting.

14. claye
    Aug 17, 2016 @ 16:41:27

I hope i didn’t mess up . Put some brown surger in with cake mix and sour cream mix before i relized what i wad doing .

15. Becky Millne
    Jul 26, 2016 @ 19:58:42

SOOOO many comments on this cake…..TOP NOTCH!! I’ve made about 10 in 2 weeks! They love it!

Liked by 2 people

16. Jill
    Jul 06, 2016 @ 03:24:22

Thanks for responding to my question Judy, I’m makin’ this in the morning!

17. Courtney
    Jul 04, 2016 @ 11:05:36

Can this site over night.. I want to make it for breakfast foe a work meeting. Or should I make it in the am?

18. Jill
    Jun 26, 2016 @ 19:49:24

I have 5 white cake mixes my husband keeps buying but no yellow. How do you think that will work?

19. Kristen z
    May 15, 2016 @ 09:45:46

Seriouslu, such an amazing cake!!!! My coworkers rant and rave about it!! It reminds us back to our jail working days (were deputies….inmates were served a honey bun breakfast bread that smells similar….but this tastes divine compared to that!!)

20. Susan Morris
    May 11, 2016 @ 17:05:24

I’m making this right now. Smells so good. I won’t be able to try it because I am sending it along with my 13 yearold son to a friends evening that they have every Thursday night. I’ll send concensus tomorrow night. So excited! Thanks for posting.

• Judy Smith
      May 12, 2016 @ 12:07:21

Yes, definitely share whether there was any reaction at all from 13-year-olds, or if it was all inhaled so quickly nobody paid attention to individual flavors. 🙂

• Susan Morris
      May 18, 2016 @ 20:49:35

The Son says, “A massive hit. Make it again every day!” He did not return with one piece for me. A friend Gladys was over and now I have to make one for her, too. So guess what I will be doing tomorrow! Thanks again!

21. Nora
    May 09, 2016 @ 21:40:13

I remember in Jr High back in the 74 We had a break between classes. I use to get something that look like this and a milk for a snack. I can’t wait to try this to see if its the same thing 😀

22. Heather bond
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 15:58:54

Awesome cake ! one of those you can mix together before the oven is even heated up!!!!

23. Lin
    Mar 20, 2016 @ 10:55:45

Does the brown sugar need to be packed?

24. Esther Franco
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 09:26:16

have you tried nuts in this recipe?

25. Molly
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 07:10:09

Do you have to grease the pan?

26. Miss Fran
    Feb 11, 2016 @ 21:59:36

Just make it..taking it to school for poor Friday!! I’m sure they’ll love it!!

27. McKenzie Bennett
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 08:34:20

Is there an alternative for the sour cream? Forgot it at the store yesterday!!

• Judy Smith
      Feb 09, 2016 @ 09:03:33

McKenzie, in all such cases Google is your friend. I retired my apron and what I do with recipes is read and pass along to my husband who does all the cooking here, Hope your cake turned out well!

28. Anony
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 09:53:49

I’m not a baker and don’t have the patience for it but by golly this is the second time I made this. It lasted me a little over six days and it stayed moist!!

29. Kendra
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 07:05:33

I have made this cake 3 times so far. Devoured each time. I am making them as cupcakes today for my surgical technology class. They are in for a treat!!!

30. Susan
    Jan 10, 2016 @ 19:14:36

Just made this. It was AMAZING! Thanks for sharing this.

31. Teresa
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 11:56:52

WOULD THIS WORK USING A BUNDT PAN?

32. Jenni
    Dec 25, 2015 @ 07:11:53

Do you make the cake mix and add the ingredients or just use the cake mix dry? I’m a newbie at baking!

• Judy Smith
      Dec 25, 2015 @ 09:29:57

Add the dry cake mix to the ingredients named in the instructional paragraph. I see now that it isn’t clear exactly what they mean. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

33. Nancy Corriveau
    Dec 16, 2015 @ 08:01:16

Cake was awesome in fact I am going to make some like 12 and give them for Christmas gifts.Thank you so much for sharing.
    M

34. Diane
    Nov 22, 2015 @ 11:42:14

It’s in the oven right now! YUM!

35. Akai
    Oct 17, 2015 @ 17:07:18

Looks so good think I’m going try this for dessert with my Sunday dinner tomorrow yummy

36. Michelle
    Sep 06, 2015 @ 12:11:19

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made it for a potluck at work (in which I missed bc I wasn’t feeling well) but it turned out wonderful. I had enough to share a well as plenty for myself due to missing the potluck lol.

37. Nicole
    Jun 08, 2015 @ 20:24:47

Is this a good cake to cook the night before? If do should I still put the icing on top or wait til the Day of ?

• Judy Smith
      Jun 11, 2015 @ 08:21:23

Ice it while it’s warm so that the topping is more glaze-like. My husband made this again yesterday and threw in extra cinnamon, brown sugar, and a stick of butter. He took it to the barbershop as a thank-you gift so we didn’t taste any of it, but it looked irresistible.

38. Denaine
    Jun 08, 2015 @ 19:52:56

This is definitely my go to cake!!! Moist, delicious and there are never any leftovers at parties and family gatherings!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!’:-) 🙂 🙂

39. Cindy
    Jun 03, 2015 @ 21:17:12

Is this a good breakfast side dish, as cinnamon rolls, or is it more of a dessert? Wanting to serve it with a egg, gravy and biscuit casserole?

40. Debra
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 13:00:30

Can this cake be refrigerated?

41. Jacqui
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 07:06:51

Holy crap! I just made this last night, it was simple and so freaking delicious. Thanks this recipe is a keeper!

42. gladys
    May 01, 2015 @ 10:19:48

looks so delicious; gonna make this weekend.

43. Glenda
    Jan 16, 2015 @ 21:41:51

The Honey Bun cake looks delish!

Talk to me, I'm soooo lonely ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Winnowing the Chaff

Vox Populi

A Public Sphere for Poetry, Nature, and Politics

Life with an Illness

*Tips and tricks on how to get through life when you have a chronic illness*

It Takes Two.

twinning with the Eichmans

Pam Grout

#1 New York Times best-selling author

rarasaur

frightfully wondrous things happen here.

FranklyWrite

Practice Writing

Social Justice For All

Working towards global equity and equality

Drinking Tips for Teens

Creative humour, satire and other bad ideas by Ross Murray, an author living in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. Is it truth or fiction? Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

john pavlovitz

Stuff That Needs To Be Said

Drifting Through

Welcome to the inner workings of my mind

KenRobert.com

beginnings, middles, and ends

Margaret and Helen

Best Friends for Sixty Years and Counting...

The WordPress.com Blog

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

Musings of a Penpusher

A Taurean suffering from cacoethes scribendi - an incurable itch to write.

Ned's Blog

Humor at the Speed of Life

Miss Snarky Pants

A Humor Blog For Horrible People

mylenesmusings

Every other asshole shares their opinions, why shouldn’t I?

%d bloggers like this: